Mar 15, 2012

Procrastination - My Super Power


pro·cras·ti·na·tion [proh-kras-tuh-ney-shuhn, pruh]  n.
The act or habit of procrastinating, or putting off or delaying, especially something requiring immediate attention.

Why do I procrastinate? I have told myself “I won’t procrastinate next time” but then of course I do. I can trace back to my elementary school days. I’d wait until the last minute to do a project and my mom would be so mad at me. She’d ask why I always wait until the last minute. Then we’d begin work and hurriedly put something together. I know this will drive me crazy when Halle does it to me. I'll ask her the same thing. "Why did you wait until the last minute?!"

Now at 26 years old and my second bout of college I ask myself again, why do I procrastinate?
I hate to say because I’m lazy. I truly don’t think of myself as lazy. When I’m putting off doing my homework it’s because I believe I’ll do it after the kids go to sleep. Sometimes it’s because I’d rather read a book or watch Modern Family. Each time I tell myself that I’ll start it later that night, then when I don’t I conclude that I’ll start the next day. Repeat process.

Unfortunately for my habit of procrastinating, it always works out in the end. I always get the paper or project turned in on time. I always get a good grade too. That only blows up my ego that I have it going on. I can impress a teacher without giving it my best effort. Geez, what would they think if I had taken more time and really focused? I guess I won’t know because I’m a habitual procrastinator when it comes to writing a paper and I’m content with that.

Tonight I begin my paper on Macroeconomics… or do I? =]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts!