Mar 21, 2012

Life Gave Me You


I’ve been to a few mommy boards online and there’s always the “Blended Family” group. I check them out from time to time. Looking to see how other mom’s handle being step-moms and vice-versa, their partner being a step-parent to their own child. A lot of mom’s are like me, they feel lucky to have their step-children in their life. It’s an experience that has its challenges of course, but it’s always rewarding. I like to post my “two cents” on there from time to time to try and guide the moms who struggle with or don’t enjoy being a step-mom. Most of these step-moms who struggle are the ones who don’t know the other side of the coin, having your partner be a step-parent to your own child.

It is a beautiful thing when you find someone to share your life with; a person that will stand by you every day. It is even more beautiful when they accept your child as one of their own children. My daughter adores my husband. When he tells her they are going to engage in something one on one she glows. She gets this joy on her face because he wants to spend time with her.

It was never difficult to find a spot for Isaiah to snuggle up into my heart. We met on a beach in April of 2009 when he was newly two years old. I had a bag of green grapes and he instantly walked up to me to ask for some. We shared grapes and he toddler talked with me.
He was the cutest little boy I’d ever seen. I knew that I’d love him with all of my heart if given the chance to stick around. A few days later me, Garrick and Isaiah spent a day together. By the end of that day when I walked to my car he followed after me with his arms open for a hug. Shortly after that he’d ask his dad “Where’s Kristin?” whenever I wasn’t around.

Isaiah and Halle's First Meeting 2009
He and Halle took to each other just as easily. She’s a year and two weeks older than him. For the first couple of months she would call him “she”. It was pretty funny. She also couldn’t say Isaiah and instead said “Zayuh”. I’d tell her that Garrick was coming over and she’d ask me “is he bringing his Zayuh”.

Today is Isaiah’s 5th birthday. It has been wonderful to have helped raise him these last 3 years. He has been embedded in my family and I, my parents, his aunties, his uncle, cousins, and extended relatives all adore him. I found this wonderful poem that puts my feelings into words.

The Gift of Life

I didn't give you the gift of life,
But in my heart I know.
The love I feel is deep and real,
As if it had been so.

For us to have each other
Is like a dream come true.
No, I didn't give you
The gift of life,
Life gave me the gift of you.
--- Unknown

Sarah Costa Photography

2 comments:

  1. Aww. Love little Isaiah. Happy 5th birthday to our handsome little guy! Love you, Mani.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts!