Apr 27, 2012

The Harvest


If you follow me on Facebook, you know that a few days ago I said that YOU needed to read The Harvest by Tess Gerritsen. I love this woman’s books. She wrote a great series that evolved into my favorite show, Rizzoli and Isles on TNT.

The Harvest was an amazing medical thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat. I read it in two days which will only happen if I am truly hooked on a good book. This is especially true since I am a full-time student, mom, and worker. I spent all of my free moments reading this one (We didn’t have the kids for two days). The story cut at my heart strings because it is focused on the process and workings of the organ transplant system. I have a friend who received a successful lung transplant and I kept relating her to every character in the book that was waiting for a donor. Needless to say, I cried a few times. A shortage of organ donors is a true problem. This fiction thriller touches on that problem and exposes an illegal black market for organs which we hope isn’t true in reality.

Register to become an organ donor in your state!

Here is the official book synopsis from GoodReads.com:
Medical resident Dr. Abby DiMatteo is elated when the elite cardiac transplant team at Boston's Bayside Hospital taps her as a potential recruit. But faced with a tormenting life-and-death decision, Abby helps direct a crash victim's harvested heart to a dying teenager -- instead of the wealthy older woman who was supposed to receive it. The repercussions leave Abby shaken and plagued with self-doubt. Suddenly, a new heart appears, and the woman's transplant is completed. Then Abby makes a terrible discovery. The donor records have been falsified -- the new heart has not come through the proper channels. Defying the hospital's demands for silence, she begins her own investigation that reveals a murderous, unthinkable conspiracy. Every move Abby makes spawns a vicious backlash...and on a ship anchored in the waters of Boston harbor, the grisly truth lies waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts!